Back to the Species at Risk main page.
COSEWIC Status: Special Concern
Have you seen this species at risk? Report your sighting.
- Grey-brown bottom feeders with a white belly
- Separated dorsal fins and large pectoral fins, lacks true scales
- Full grown at 10-15cm
Habits and Reproduction
- Spawning is believed to occur during the winter
- Little is known about the biology of this fish
- Inhabits cold highly oxygenated lakes
- Found at depths between 60-150m
- Main threat to this species is lake eutrophication, from nutrient pollution
- Quagga mussels also pose a threat to this species as they force prey into deeper habitat